Historic Preservation Resources
The following links and references provide information about Historic Preservation, including the laws governing historic properties and the agencies charged with their regulatory oversight, economic incentives, technical assistance to maintain and restore historic properties, and guides for historic and architectural research.
Laws & Regulatory Oversight
- Do You Own an Historic Westwood Property? - View informational brochure (PDF) on what it means to have your property designated.
- What is the Westwood Historic Preservation Commission? - View an informational brochure (PDF) about the Westwood Historic Preservation Commission.
- New Jersey Historic Preservation Office - State agency website with information on preservation law, programs, and resources.
- New Jersey Trust - State agency website with information on public and private preservation funding sources and preservation advocacy campaigns.
- Tax Incentives for Preserving Historic Properties - National Park Service website detailing the various tax incentive programs available to owners of historic properties.
- National Park Service - Federal agency website with technical information on historic property conservation.
- New Jersey Preservation Office (Technical Assistance and Information) - State agency website with technical information on historic building conservation and research.
Historic Building Research & History-Related Programs & Events
- Bergen County Historical Society - County historical society website with information about access to historical documentation, programs, and events.
- Westwood Heritage Society - Local historical society website with information about access to historical documentation, programs, events, and past preservation campaigns. The Heritage Society holds public meetings and work sessions every Wednesday night at 7:30 p.m. at the Westwood Train Station.
Reference Books on Architectural Styles & Construction
- Building by the Book: Pattern Book Architecture in New Jersey (Rutgers University Press, 1992)
- A Field Guide to American Houses (Knopf, 1984)
- The Queen Anne House: America's Victorian Vernacular (Abrams, 2006)
- What Style Is It?: A Guide to American Architecture (Preservation Press, 1983)